List of Open Source macOS Apps
GitHub user serhii-londar assembled this crowd-sourced list of open source applications for macOS. If you’re a Mac user and you’re interested in open source tools, this list is a gold mine.
- AUHost – Application which hosts AudioUnits v3 using AVFoundation API.
- Aural Player – Aural Player is a audio player application for the macOS platform. Inspired by the classic Winamp player for Windows, it is designed to be to-the-point and easy to use.
- Background Music – Background Music, a macOS audio utility: automatically pause your music, set individual apps’ volumes and record system audio.
- CAM – macOS camera recording using ffmpeg
- LocalRadio – LocalRadio is software for listening to “Software-Defined Radio” on your Mac and mobile devices.
- Lyricism – macOS app to show you lyric what currently iTunes or Spotify is playing.
- LyricsX – Lyrics for iTunes, Spotify and Vox.
- Mous Player – Simple yet powerful audio player for BSD/Linux/macOS.
- ShazamScrobbler – Scrobble vinyl, radios, movies to Last.fm.
- Sonora – Minimal, beautifully designed music player for macOS.
- SpotMenu – Spotify and iTunes in your menu bar.
- SpotSpot – Spotify mini-player for macOS.
- Suohai – Audio input/output source lock for macOS.
- Tickeys – Instant audio feedback for typing. macOS version.
- [Un]MuteMic – macOS app to mute & unmute the input volume of your microphone. Perfect for podcasters.
- eqMac2 – System-Wide Equalizer for the Mac.
- fre:ac – The fre:ac audio converter project.
- iTunes-Volume-Control – This app allows you to control the iTunes volume using volume up and volume down hotkeys.
- jmc – jmc is new macOS media organizer.
- shairport-sync – macOS/Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD Airplay audio receiver.
- waveSDR – macOS native desktop Software Defined Radio application using the RTL-SDR USB device.
- Mackup – Keep your application settings in sync (macOS/Linux).
- UrBackup – UrBackup is Client/Server network backup for Windows, macOS and Linux.
- shallow-backup – Easily create lightweight documentation of installed applications, dotfiles, and more.
- Beaker Browser – Beaker is an experimental peer-to-peer Web browser.
- Brave Browser – Brave browser for Desktop and Laptop computers running Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Finicky – Always opens the right browser.
- Helium – Floating browser window for macOS.
- Kaktus Browser – Experimental web browser with minimalistic design. Running Windows, macOS and Linux.
- browserosaurus – macOS tool that prompts you to choose a browser when opening a link.
- otter-browser – Otter Browser aims to recreate the best aspects of the classic Opera (12.x) UI using Qt5.
- seb-mac – Safe Exam Browser for macOS and iOS.
- Android Messenger Mac – Mac app wrapper around Google’s stand-alone Android Messenger.
- ChitChat – Native Mac app wrapper for WhatsApp Web.
- Electronic WeChat – Better WeChat on macOS and Linux.
- Franz – Franz is messaging application for services like WhatsApp, Slack, Messenger and many more.
- Google Allo for Desktop – Native macOS & Windows desktop app for Google Allo.
- GroupMe – Unofficial GroupMe App.
- Riot.im – Riot.im is a collaboration app (currently Electron) for the Matrix protocol.
- Seaglass – A truly native Matrix client for macOS.
- Signal Desktop – Electron app that links with your Signal Android or Signal iOS app.
- Telegram – Source code of Telegram for macOS on Swift.
- Telegram Desktop – Telegram Desktop messaging app.
- Telegram [Deprecated] – Source code of deprecated Telegram for macOS version.
- Textual – Textual is an IRC client for macOS.
- Torchat-Mac – TorChat for Mac is a macOS native and unofficial port of torchat.
- WhatsAppBar – Send WhatsApp message from menu bar.
- Wire Desktop – Standalone Electron app for the chatapp Wire.
- Balance Open – App for all the world’s currencies.
- CoinBar – macOS menu bar application for tracking crypto coin prices.
- Crypto Bar – macOS menu bar application built with Electron.
- Float coin – Native menu bar app with floating window and support for many Exchanges.
- DB Browser for SQLite – SQLite database management GUI.
- DBeaver – Universal database tool and SQL client.
- Medis – 💻 Medis is a beautiful, easy-to-use Mac database management application for Redis.
- Postbird – PostgreSQL GUI client for macOS.
- Postgres.app – The easiest way to get started with PostgreSQL on the Mac.
- Redis.app – The easiest way to get started with Redis on the Mac.
- Robo 3T – Robo 3T (formerly Robomongo) is the free lightweight GUI for MongoDB enthusiasts.
- Sequel Pro – MySQL/MariaDB database management for macOS.
- mongoDB.app – The easiest way to get started with mongoDB on the Mac.
- Cashew – Cashew macOS Github Issue Tracker.
- GPM – macOS application for easily operating GitHub Projects.
- GitHub Desktop – Simple collaboration from your desktop.
- GitSync – Minimalistic Git client for Mac.
- GitUp – The Git interface you’ve been missing all your life has finally arrived.
- GitX – Graphical client for the git version control system.
- Gitee – Gitee, macOS status bar application for Github.
- Github contributions – GitHub contributions app, for iOS, WatchOS, and macOS.
- GithubListener – Simple app that will notify about new commits to watched repositories.
- GithubNotify – Simple macOS app to alert you when you have unread GitHub notifications.
- MessagesHistoryBrowser – macOS application to comfortably browse and search through your Messages.app history.
- Streaker – GitHub contribution streak tracking menubar app.
- TeamStatus-for-GitHub – macOS status bar application for tracking code review process within the team.
- Trailer – Managing Pull Requests and Issues For GitHub & GitHub Enterprise.
- Xit – Xit is a graphical tool for working with git repositories.
- JSON Mapper – Simple macOS app to generate Swift Object Mapper classes from JSON.
- JSONExport – Desktop application for macOS which enables you to export JSON objects as model classes with their associated constructors, utility methods, setters and getters in your favorite language.
- j2s – macOS app to convert JSON objects into Swift structs (currently targets Swift 4 and Codable).
- CoreOS VM – CoreOS VM is macOS status bar app which allows in an easy way to control CoreOS VM on your Mac.
- Corectl App for macOS – Corectl App is a macOS Status bar App which works like a wrapper around the corectl command line tool corectld to control the server runtime process.
- Insomnia – Insomnia is a cross-platform REST client, built on top of Electron.
- KubeMonitor – KubeMonitor is a macOS app that displays information about your active Kubernetes cluster in your menu bar.
- KubeSwitch – KubeSwitch lists the available kubernetes cluster contexts on the mac, in Mac’s Menu bar.
- Lantern – Dedicated Mac app for website auditing and crawling.
- LocalSites – Simple Menu Bar (Status Bar) App for macOS listing local Bonjour websites (as Safari 11 no longer has Bonjour Bookmarks).
- Mockup Generator – Mockup Generator is a macOS app built with AngularJS/Electron that sits in your menu bar allowing you to capture screenshots of your favourite websites and wrap them in device mock-ups.
- Now Desktop – Create deployments right from the tray menu.
- aws-s3-uploader – Simple macOS app for uploading files to Amazon Web Services.
- iTunesConnect – macOS app to let you access iTunesConnect.
- ndm – Npm desktop GUI.
- nodeScratchpad – Evaluate Nodejs/JS code snippets from Menubar.
- stts – macOS app for monitoring the status of cloud services.
iOS / macOS
- AVXCAssets Generator – Takes path for your assets images and creates appiconset and imageset for you in just one click.
- Alloy – Simple toolkit that makes your iOS / macOS apps development more easier.
- AppBox – Tool for iOS developers to build and deploy Development, Ad-Hoc and In-house (Enterprise) applications directly to the devices from your Dropbox account.
- AppIcons – Tool for generating icons in all sizes as required by macOS and iOS apps.
- AppStoreReviewTimes – Gives you indication about the average iOS / macOS app stores review times.
- AppleTrace – Trace tool for iOS/macOS.
- Asset Catalog Tinkerer – App that lets you open .car files and browse/extract their images.
- Assets – Assets is a macOS app that manages assets for your development projects (Xcode, web, etc).
- Attabench – Attabench is a microbenchmarking app for macOS, designed to measure and visualize the performance of Swift code.
- Board For GitHub – Small application to monitor your GitHub project web page in a native macOS app !
- Brisk – macOS app for submitting radars.
- Cleaner for Xcode – Cleaner for Xcode.app built with react-native-macOS.
- CocoaRestClient – Native Apple macOS app for testing HTTP/REST endpoints.
- FilterShop – macOS App to explore CoreImage Filters.
- IconGenerator – macOS app to generate app icons.
- Iconizer – Create Xcode image catalogs (xcassets) on the fly.
- Icons.app – App for macOS which is designed to generate consistent sized icons of an existing application in various states, jiggling (shaking) etc.
- InjectionIII – overdue Swift rewrite of Injection.
- Knuff – The debug application for Apple Push Notification Service (APNs).
- LayerX – Intuitive app to display transparent images on screen.
- Localizable.strings – Mac app to localize your iOS and macOS projects.
- Localization Editor – Simple macOS editor app to help you manage iOS app localizations by allowing you to edit all the translations side by side.
- Localizations – Localizations is an macOS app that manages your Xcode project localization files (.strings).
- Menubar Colors – macOS app for convenient access to the system color panel.
- Notarize – Notarization status monitoring tool for macOS, supporting multiple developer accounts
- PodsUpdater – macOS app which helps you manage dependency releases in your Podfile.
- ProfilesManager – Apple iOS/macOS Provisioning Profiles management,.provisionprofile, .mobileprovision files manager tool for mac.
- PushNotifications – macOS app to test push notifications on iOS and Android.
- ResignTool – This is an app for macOS that can (re)sign apps and bundle them into ipa files that are ready to be installed on an iOS device.
- Resizr – MacOS application for creating AppIcon for iOS and Android apps.
- SmartPush – iOS Push Notification Debug App.
- TransporterPad – iOS/Android app deployment tool for macOS.
- WWDC – Unofficial WWDC app for macOS.
- WWDC.srt – Powerful app for downloading subtitle for each WWDC session video since 2013 in (srt) format.
- calabash-launcher – iOS Calabash Launcher is a macOS app that helps you run and manage Calabash tests on your Mac.
- iOS Images Extractor – iOS Images Extractor is a Mac app to normalize, decode, and extract images from iOS apps.
- iSimulator – iSimulator is a GUI utility to control the Simulator and manage the app installed on the simulator.
- xib2Storyboard – Tool to convert Xcode .xib to .storyboard files.
- App Downloader – Easily search and download macOS apps from the huge
homebrew cask app catalog.
- Get It – Native macOS video/audio downloader. Think of it as a youtube downloader that works on many sites.
- Motrix – A full-featured download manager.
- Pillager – macOS Video Downloader written in Swift and Objective-C.
- YouTube Downloader for macOS – Simple menu bar app to download YouTube movies on your Mac. I wrote this as a test project to learn more about app development on macOS.
- udemy-downloader-gui – desktop application for downloading Udemy Courses.
- JSON-Splora – GUI for editing, visualizing, and manipulating JSON data.
- Gingko – Tree-structured markdown editor for macOS, Windows, and Linux.
- MacDown – Markdown editor for macOS.
- Mark Text – Realtime preview markdown editor for macOS Windows and Linux.
- Pine – A modern MacOS markdown editor.
- Qilin Editor – Text editor for exact sciences with built-in KaTeX/AsciiMath support.
- CotEditor – Lightweight Plain-Text Editor for macOS.
- MacVim – Text editor for macOS.
- Noto – Plain text editor for macOS with customizable themes.
- SubEthaEdit – General purpose plain text editor for macOS. Widely known for its live collaboration feature.
- TextMate – TextMate is a graphical text editor for macOS.
- VimR – Refined Neovim experience for macOS.
- BetterPiP – Use native picture-in-picture with browsers such as Google Chrome for HTML5 videos.
- PiPTool – Add the Picture-in-Picture Functionality to YouTube, Netflix, Plex and other video broadcasting services in macOS.
- PiPifier – PiPifier is a native macOS 10.12 Safari extension that lets you use every HTML5 video in Picture in Picture mode.
- Clipy – Clipy is a Clipboard extension app for macOS.
- FiScript – Execute custom scripts from the MacOS context menu (CTRL+click) in Finder.
- Finder Go – macOS app and Finder Sync Extension to open Terminal, iTerm, Hyper from Finder.
- OpenInCode – Finder toolbar app to open current folder in Visual Studio Code.
- OpenInTerminal – ✨ Finder Toolbar app for macOS to open the current directory in Terminal, iTerm or Hyper.
- Quick Look plugins – List of useful Quick Look plugins for developers.
- Battle for Wesnoth – Turn-based tactical strategy game, featuring both single-player and online multiplayer combat.
- Boxer – The DOS game emulator that’s fit for your Mac.
- Dolphin – Powerful emulator for Nintendo GameCube and Wii games.
- OpenEmu – Retro video game emulation for macOS.
- OpenRCT2 – Re-implementation of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2.
- Screentendo – Turn your screen into a playable level of Mario.
- Stockfish – Beautiful, powerful chess application.
- Aseprite – Animated sprite editor & pixel art tool (Windows, macOS, Linux).
- CaptuocrToy – Tool to capture screenshot and recognize text by online ocr apis.
- GifCapture – Gif capture app for macOS.
- Gifcurry – Video to GIF maker with a graphical interface capable of cropping, adding text, seeking, and trimming.
- Gifski – Convert videos to high-quality GIFs.
- InfiniteCanvas – Proof of concept Mac drawing application.
- Material Colors Native – Choose your Material colours and copy the hex code.
- Pencil2D Animation – Pencil2D is an animation/drawing software for macOS, Windows, and Linux. It lets you create traditional hand-drawn animation (cartoon) using both bitmap and vector graphics.
- ScreenToLayers for macOS – ScreenToLayers is a macOS application to easily capture your screen as a layered PSD file.
- Sketch Toolbox – Plugin manager for Sketch.app.
- macSVG – macOS application for designing HTML5 SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) art and animation with a WebKit web view.
- Atom – The hackable text editor.
- Oni – Oni is a modern take on modal editing code editor focused on developer productivity.
- Visual Studio Code – Code editor developed by Microsoft.
- ZeroBraneStudio – ZeroBrane Studio is a lightweight cross-platform Lua IDE with code completion, syntax highlighting, remote debugger, code analyzer, live coding, and debugging support for various Lua engines.
- APNGb – macOS app which assembles and disassembles animated png files.
- Crunch – Insane(ly slow but wicked good) PNG image optimization.
- Freehand – macOS Status Bar App for quick sketch.
- Gimp – Gimp is GNU Image Manipulation Program.
- Iconology – Edit Icons and then Export to Xcode, Icns, Ico, Favicon, Mac Iconset, or a Custom List of Sizes.
- ImageAlpha – Mac GUI for pngquant, pngnq and posterizer.
- Imagine – Imagine is a desktop app for compression of PNG and JPEG, with a modern and friendly UI.
- Katana – Katana is a simple screenshot utility for macOS that lives in your menubar.
- PhotoMiner – macOS app for finding and lost forgotten photos on your disks.
- Screenbar – macOS menubar app for automating screenshots.
- WebPonize – WebPonize is a macOS App for converting PNG, JPEG, animated (or not) GIF images into WebP.
- AnnePro-mac – macOS application for controlling AnnePro keyboard over bluetooth.
- Fluor – Handy tool for macOS allowing you to switch Fn keys’ mode based on active application.
- GokuRakuJoudo – Karabiner-Elements configuration manager, rescue to bloated karabiner.json
- Karabiner – Karabiner (KeyRemap4MacBook) is a powerful utility for keyboard customization.
- Karabiner-Elements – Karabiner-Elements is a powerful utility for keyboard customization on macOS Sierra (10.12) or later.
- Kawa – Better input source switcher for macOS.
- Thor – Switch the right application ASAP.
- Correo – Menubar/taskbar Gmail App for Windows and macOS.
- ElectronMail – Unofficial desktop app for ProtonMail and Tutanota end-to-end encrypted email providers.
- Inboxer – Unofficial Google Inbox Desktop App.
- Nylas Mail – Extensible mail client.
- Rambox – Cross Platform messaging and emailing app that combines common web applications into one.
- dejalu – Fast and Simple Email Client.
- gInbox – Wrapper for Inbox by Gmail.
- Airpass – Status bar Mac application to overcome time constrained WiFi networks.
- AnyBar – macOS menubar status indicator.
- BitBar – Put the output from any script or program in your macOS Menu Bar.
- CloudyTabs – Simple menu bar macOS application for displaying lists of your iCloud Tabs and Reading List.
- DatWeatherDoe – Simple menu bar weather app for macOS written in Swift.
- DisplayMenu – Simple (bare-bones) macOS menubar extra to apply display presets.
- Dozer – Hide MacOS menubar items.
- KubeContext – import, manage and switch between your Kubernetes contexts on Mac.
- MenuMeters – CPU, memory, disk, and network monitoring tools for macOS.
- Menubar Brightness – macOS app to change the screen brightness on the menubar.
- Night Shift Control – Night Shift Control is a simple macOS menubar app for controlling Night Shift. It’s aim is to bring features from f.lux which are missing from Night Shift such as disabling Night Shift for certain apps.
- PSIBar – Quickly hacked up PSI macOS status bar app.
- Quickeys – A mac menu bar app that provides note taking functionality though a quick dropdown menu.
- SensibleSideButtons – Small menu bar utility that lets you use your third-party mouse’s side buttons for navigation across a variety of apps.
- Shifty – macOS menu bar app that gives you more control over Night Shift.
- gSwitch – macOS status bar app that allows control over the gpu on dual gpu macbooks.
- iGlance – macOS System Monitor (cpu, memory, network, fan and battery) for the Status Bar.
- Carol – A minimal and beautiful lyrics app that stays in the menu bar of macOS.
- ChordDetector – Tiny menu bar app that listens iTunes and Spotify to detect chords of songs!
- DeezPlayer – Deezer Desktop app for Windows, Linux and macOS.
- SoundCleod – SoundCloud for macOS and Windows.
- Spotify-Cli-Mac – Control Spotify without leaving your terminal. 🎶
- YouTube-Music – macOS wrapper for music.youtube.com.
- iTunes Graphs – macOS app to visualise your iTunes library as graphs.
- lyricsify – Simple Spotify lyrics viewer menu bar app for macOS in Swift.
- Diurna – Basic/Classic Hacker News app, used as a Cocoa & Swift learning platform.
- NetNewsWire – Feed reader for macOS.
- Vienna – Vienna is a RSS/Atom newsreader for macOS.
- hacker-menu – Hacker News Delivered to Desktop.
- Boostnote – Note-taking application made for programmers just like you.
- FSNotes – Notes manager for macOS/iOS: modern notational velocity (nvALT) on steroids.
- FromScratch – Little app that you can use as a quick note taking or todo app.
- Jupyter Notebook Viewer – Notebook viewer for macOS.
- NoteTaker – Simple note taking app for macOS and iOS which uses Realm and CloudKit for syncing.
- Notes – Notes is a macOS application built to create notes, using text amongst other formats: images, videos, contacts, and etc.
- Simplenote – Simplest way to keep notes.
- Standard Notes – Safe place for your notes, thoughts, and life’s work.
- Tusk – Unofficial, third-party, community driven Evernote app with a handful of useful features.
- joplin – Note taking and to-do application with synchronization capabilities for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android and iOS.
- notable – Simple note taking application.
- tmpNote – Very simple macOS app to make temporary notes.
- Cakebrew – Manage your Homebrew formulas with style using Cakebrew.
- DevDocs for macOS – An unofficial DevDocs API documentation viewer.
- Gas Mask – Hosts file manager for macOS.
- Hosts – Cocoa GUI for /etc/hosts.
- ImageOptim – GUI image optimizer for Mac.
- Keyframes Player – Simple macOS app to preview animations created with Facebook’s keyframes framework.
- Lepton – Democratizing Code Snippets Management (macOS/Win/Linux).
- Letters – Teach your kids the alphabet and how to type.
- Platypus – Mac developer tool that creates application bundles from command line scripts.
- QorumLogs – Swift Logging Utility for Xcode & Google Docs.
- React Native Debugger – Desktop app for inspecting your React Native projects. macOS, Linux, and Windows.
- Reactotron – Desktop app for inspecting your React JS and React Native projects. macOS, Linux, and Windows.
- RktMachine – Menu bar macOS app for running rkt in a macOS hypervisor CoreOS VM.
- Ruby.app – macOS app that contains a full Ruby installation (for use with Ruby/Gosu).
- Shuttle – Simple SSH shortcut menu for macOS.
- SwiftyBeaver – Convenient logging during development & release in Swift.
- Unused – Mac app for checking Xcode projects for unused resources.
- Vagrant Manager – Manage your vagrant machines in one place with Vagrant Manager for macOS.
- macGist – Simple app to send pasteboard items to GitHub’s Gist.
- syncthing-macosx – Frugal nativemacOS macOS Syncthing application bundle.
- IINA – Modern video player for macOS.
- MPlayerX – Media player on macOS.
- MacMorpheus – 3D 180/360 video player for macOS for PSVR with head tracking.
- Movie Monad – Desktop video player built with Haskell that uses GStreamer and GTK+.
- mpv – Video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2.
- Cumulonimbus – Simple, beautiful podcast app.
- Doughnut – Podcast player and library for mac
- PodcastMenu – PodcastMenu is a simple app which puts Overcast on your Mac’s menu bar so you can listen to your favorite podcasts while you work.
- Podlive for macOS – macOS client to listen to live streaming podcasts (only). It currently supports all livestreams broadcasting via Ultraschall with Studio Link On Air.
- mkchromecast – Cast macOS and Linux Audio/Video to your Google Cast and Sonos Devices.
- Ao – Elegant Microsoft To-Do desktop app.
- Cerebro – Cross-platform launcher app.
- ClipMenu – Clipboard manager for macOS.
- Clocker – macOS app to plan and organize through timezones.
- ControlPlane – Automate running tasks based on where you are or what you do.
- Flycut – Clean and simple clipboard manager for developers.
- KeyHolder – Record shortcuts in macOS, like Alfred.app.
- Kiwix – Kiwix for iOS and macOS, build on Swift.
- Linked Ideas – macOS application to write down and connect ideas.
- Maccy – Lightweight search-as-you-type clipboard manager.
- Manta – Flexible invoicing desktop app with beautiful & customizable templates.
- PDF Archiver – Nice tool for tagging and archiving tasks.
- Paperless Desktop – Desktop app that uses the paperless API to manage your document scans.
- Quicksilver – Quicksilver is a fast macOS productivity application that gives you the power to control your Mac quickly and elegantly.
- Quickwords – Write anything in a matter of seconds. Create snippets that can substitute text, execute tedious tasks and more.
- SelfControl – macOS app to block your own access to distracting websites etc for a predetermined period of time. It can not be undone by the app or by a restart – you must wait for the timer to run out.
- Speed Reader – Read faster with the power of silencing vocalization with SpeedReader.
- StickyNotes – A Windows 10-esque Sticky Notes app implemented in AppKit.
- Thyme – The task timer for OS X.
- Timer – Simple Timer app for Mac.
- Toggl Desktop – Toggl Desktop app for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- TrelloApp – Unofficial wrapper application for Trello.com written in Swift. This is almost a “Hello World” for a site specific browser.
- Watson – A CLI application for time tracking.
- Whale – Unofficial Trello app.
- Yomu – Manga reader app for macOS.
- macOrganizer – macOS app for organizing files or removing unnecessary files.
- status-bar-todo – Simple macOS app to keep TODO-list in status bar.
- stretchly – Cross-platform electron app that reminds you to take breaks when working with computer.
- Aerial – Apple TV Aerial Screensaver for macOS.
- Image-As-Wallpaper – Utility application helps with selection of images for using as desktop wallpaper or in screensaver on Mac computers.
- Irvue – Screensaver for macOS.
- Life Saver – An abstract screensaver based on Conway’s Game of Life implemented with SpriteKit
- MusaicFM – iTunes Screensaver Clone for Spotify and Last.fm
- Predator – A predator-inspired clock screensaver for macOS
- The GitHub Matrix Screensaver – The GitHub Matrix Screensaver for macOS.
- LuLu – LuLu is macOS firewall application that aims to block unauthorized (outgoing) network traffic.
- stronghold – Easily configure macOS security settings from the terminal.
- Deluge – Lightweight cross-platform BitTorrent client.
- Rhea – macOS status bar app for quickly sharing files and URLs.
- Transmission – Official Transmission BitTorrent client repository.
- Tribler – Privacy enhanced BitTorrent client with P2P content discovery.
- mac2imgur – Simple Mac app designed to make uploading images and screenshots to Imgur quick and effortless.
- qBittorrent – BitTorrent client in Qt.
- Caprine – Elegant Facebook Messenger desktop app.
- Goofy – Unofficial Facebook Messenger client.
- Leviathan – Leviathan is a iOS and macOS client application for the Mastodon social network.
- Messenger – macOS app wrapping Facebook’s Messenger for desktop.
- Product Hunt – Official Product Hunt app for macO) – share and discover your favorite new products and applications.
- Quail – Unofficial esa app.
- Ramme – Unofficial Instagram Desktop App.
- Simpo – macOS menubar app to post status quickly.
- appear.in – Unofficial appear.in app.
- Galeri – Perpetual artwork streaming app.
- AppPolice – App for macOS with a minimalistic UI which lets you quickly throttle down the CPU usage of any running process.
- Apple Juice – Advanced battery gauge for macOS.
- Clean-Me – Small macOS app that acts as a system cleaner (logs, cache, …).
- Diagnostics – Diagnostics is an application displaying the diagnostic reports from applications on macOS.
- DisableMonitor – Easily disable or enable a monitor on your Mac.
- EtreCheck – EtreCheck is an easy-to-use macOS app to display important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard.
- Fanny – Monitor your Mac’s fan speed and CPU temperature from your Notification Center.
- HoRNDIS – Android USB tethering driver for macOS.
- Juice – Make your battery information a bit more interesting.
- KeepingYouAwake – Prevents your Mac from going to sleep.
- Latest – Small utility app for macOS that makes sure you know about all the latest updates to the apps you use.
- Loading – Simple network activity monitor for macOS.
- Overkill – Stop iTunes from opening when you connect your iPhone.
- ProfileCreator – macOS Application to create standard or customized configuration profiles.
- Sloth – Sloth is an macOS application that displays a list of all open files and sockets in use by all running applications on your system.
- Turbo Boost Switcher – Turbo Boost Switcher is a little application for Mac computers that allows to enable and/or disable the Turbo Boost feature.
- VerticalBar – macOS application to add a vertical bar to Dock.
- macOSLucidaGrande – A small utility to set Lucida Grande as your Mac’s system UI font.
- Alacritty – Cross-platform, GPU-accelerated terminal emulator.
- Bifrost – A tiny terminal emulator for serial port communication (macOS/Linux).
- Console – macOS console application.
- Finder Go – macOS app and Finder Sync Extension to open Terminal, iTerm, Hyper from Finder.
- Hyper – Terminal built on web technologies.
- Kitty – Cross-platform, fast, feature full, GPU based terminal emulator.
- OpenInTerminal – ✨ Finder Toolbar app for macOS to open the current directory in Terminal, iTerm or Hyper.
- OpenTerminal – App for macOS that opens a new Finder window and changes the current directory to the folder launched by the app.
- Upterm – A terminal emulator for the 21st century (formerly Black Screen).
- iTerm 2 – Terminal emulator for macOS that does amazing things.
- wallpapper – wallpapper is a console application for creating dynamic wallpapers for Mojave.
- Muse – Spotify controller with TouchBar support.
- MyTouchbarMyRules – App to customize your Touch Bar as you want.
- Pock – Display macOS Dock in Touch Bar.
- Touch Bar Preview – Small application to display your designs on the Touch Bar of the new MacBook Pro.
- Touch Bar Simulator – Use the Touch Bar on any Mac.
- Touch Emoji – Emoji picker for MacBook Pro Touch Bar.
- Android tool for Mac – One-click screenshots, video recordings, app installation for iOS and Android
- Archive Mounter – Mounts archives like disk images
- BeardedSpice – Control web based media players with the media keys found on Mac keyboards.
- Buttercup Desktop – Secure password manager for mac and other platforms.
- Catch – Catch: Broadcatching made easy.
- Clear Clipboard Text Format – Easily clear the format of your clipboard text with Clear Clipboard Text Format.
- CornerCal – Simple, clean calendar and clock app for macOS.
- Crypter – Crypter is an innovative, convenient and secure cross-platform crypto app that simplifies secure password generation and management by requiring you to only remember one bit, the MasterPass.
- ECheck – Small tool to validate epub files for macOS.
- Funky – Easily toggle the function key on your Mac on a per app basis.
- Gray – Pick between the light appearance and the dark appearance on a per-app basis with the click of a button
- Kap – Screen recorder application built with web technology.
- KeePassXC – Cross-platform community-driven port of the Windows application “Keepass Password Safe”
- KeeWeb – Cross-platform password manager compatible with KeePass.
- Kyapchar – Simple screen and microphone audio recorder for macOS.
- Life-Calendar – Life Calendar.
- Lunar – Intelligent adaptive brightness for your external displays.
- MacPass – Native macOS KeePass client.
- Maria – macOS native app/widget for aria2 download tool.
- Meme Maker – Meme Maker macOS application for meme creation.
- Monolingual – Remove unnecessary language resources from macOS
- Mos – Smooth your mouse’s scrolling and reverse the mouse scroll direction
- Noti – Receive Android notifications on your mac (with PushBullet).
- PB for Desktop – Receive native push notifications on macOS, Windows and Linux.
- Padlock – A minimal, open source password manager for macOS.
- PercentCalculator – A menu bar application that calculates parcents.
- ScreenCat – ScreenCat is a screen sharing + remote collaboration application.
- SlowQuitApps – Add a global delay to Command-Q to stop accidental app quits.
- Telephone – SIP softphone for macOS.
- The Blockstack Browser – Blockstack is an internet for decentralized apps where users own their data. The Blockstack Browser allows you to explore the Blockstack internet.
- The Unarchiver – The Unarchiver is an Objective-C application for uncompressing archive files.
- ToTheTop – Small macOS application to help you scroll to the top.
- calibre – cross platform e-book manager.
- iOScanX – Cocoa application for semi-automated iOS app analysis and evaluation.
- mac-sound-fix – Mac Sound Re-Enabler.
- wechsel – manage bluetooth connections with your keyboard.
- Übersicht – Keep an eye on what’s happening on your machine and in the world.
VPN & Proxy
- ShadowsocksX-NG – Next Generation of ShadowsocksX.
- Specht – Rule-based proxy app built with Network Extension for macOS.
- SpechtLite – Rule-based proxy app for macOS.
- Tunnelblick – Tunnelblick is a graphic user interface for OpenVPN on macOS.
- clashX – A rule based custom proxy with GUI for Mac base on clash.
- rvc-mac – Ribose VPN Client macOS Menu App.
- Acid.Cam.v2.OSX – Acid Cam v2 for macOS distorts video to create art.
- AppleEvents – Unofficial Apple Events app for macOS.
- Conferences.digital – Best way to watch the latest and greatest videos from your favourite developer conferences for free on your Mac.
- Datamosh – Datamosh your videos on macOS.
- Face Data – macOS application used to auto-annotate landmarks from a video.
- Gifted – Turn any short video into an animated GIF quickly and easily.
- HandBrake – HandBrake is a video transcoder available for Linux, Mac, and Windows.
- MenuTube – Catch YouTube into your macOS menu bar!
- OpenShot – Easy to use, quick to learn, and surprisingly powerful video editor.
- Quick Caption – Transcribe and generate caption files (SRT, ASS and FCPXML) without manually entering time codes.
- QuickLook Video – This package allows macOS Finder to display thumbnails, static QuickLook previews, cover art and metadata for most types of video files.
- Subler – Subler is an macOS app created to mux and tag mp4 files.
- Vid Quiz Creator – macOS application to insert quizzes within video playback and play those videos to receiving devices using the LISNR API.
- WebTorrent Desktop – Streaming torrent app. For Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Yoda – Nifty macOS application which enables you to browse and download videos from YouTube.
- 500-mac-wallpaper – Simple macOS app for the status bar to automatically download photos from 500px.com to a local folder that can be set as a source of wallpapers.
- ArtWall – ArtStation set as wallpapers from artwork.rss.
- Artify – A macOS application for bringing dedicatedly 18th century Arts to everyone
- BingPaper – Use Bing daily photo as your wallpaper on macOS.
- Desktop Wallpaper Switcher – Win / Linux / macOS tool for managing and cycling desktop wallpapers.
- Muzei – Muzei wallpaper app for macOS.
- Satellite Eyes – macOS app to automatically set your desktop wallpaper to the satellite view overhead.
- Sunscreen – Sunscreen is a fun, lightweight application that changes your desktop wallpaper based on sunrise and sunset.
- WallpaperMenu – macOS menubar application for navigation through beautiful pictures on the web and set them up as your desktop image.
- earth-wallpapers – Simple macOS menubar app which fetches latest photos from a subreddit.
- pyDailyChanger – pyDailyChanger is a program that changes your wallpaper daily.
- Amethyst – Automatic tiling window manager for macOS.
- AppGrid – Grid-based keyboard window manager for macOS.
- Desktop Profiles – An innovative desktop/window manager for macOS
- Hammerspoon – Staggeringly powerful macOS desktop automation with Lua.
- Rectangle – Rectangle is a window manager heavily based on Spectacle, written in Swift.
- ShiftIt – Managing windows size and position.
- Slate – Window management application (replacement for Divvy/SizeUp/ShiftIt).
- Spectacle – Spectacle allows you to organize your windows without using a mouse.
- chunkwm – Tiling window manager for macOS that uses a plugin architecture.
View the original list here.